The years 1935 to 1945 saw the emergence of a significant trend in Philippine literature in English. Jose M. Hernandez describes this period as a time of self-discovery and of rapid growth. Hernandez proceeds by the enumerating the qualities of the period:
- The writers consciously and purposefully to create a national literature.
- The writers had gained full control of the English language and could successfully manipulate it as a literary medium.
- Experimentation with different literary forms and techniques and moods was the fashion.
- Three groups of writers emerged:
- Those who were concerned with social consciousness
- Those whose main concern was craftsmanship
- Those who were determined to explore local color. Some of the writers of this group formed the Veronicans.